Present:, Suzie McCheyne- Development Officer, Diane Whateley- Secretary, Nigel Wunsch-acting Chair, Cambuslang Rotary, Eugenie Aroutcheff- Grow 73, Rose Hewitt- Newton Primary school; Denise Harvard Community Rail Network
By Zoom: Jim Bolton- Rutherglen CC, Rob Mulholland- artist, John Wilson- Scotrail, Willie Clark-Transport Scotland, Alex Bray-cross country, Abbie Campbell- NHS lanarkshire
Apologies: Lynn Keir- Treasurer, Steven Mclaughlin- trustee
A. Hope in Hamilton update
- RM had engaged with Beckford Lodge residents about positive affirmations and mantras for the artwork at Hamilton Central. ‘What brings you here’ is one which resonates. There are logistical issues in terms of a small electrical supply for the sculpture.
- AP1– JW to find out what might be possible
- The initial idea was to have a tickertape running behind the windows of a train carriage, but given the associations with trains and need to avoid ‘triggering’, need to liaise with the Samaritans.
- The mantras used in the station could be used elsewhere is the community – reserve ‘safe’ ones for the station environs. The main sculpture will be on a wall with a secondary piece looking out of the station. RM will meet with the technical people to discuss possibilities.
- AP2– RM to share draft visuals within a couple of weeks/beginning Jan 2022
- SMcC had spoken to passengers at Hamilton Central and there are outputs available. In summary, passengers liked the idea and were keen for the art to be there.
- NW asked about a completion date- April 2022
B. Development Officer update
- Planning to run conversation cafes on trains with Police Scotland Youth Volunteers, in January 2022
- Xmas tree at Newton station had decorations which were bird trees. The tree will be re-planted after the festive period.
- Avanti funding bid for young people ‘feel good’ travel- sustainable fashion initiative in Glasgow/South Lanarkshire using denim for recycling involving 340 children. Rail 74 to contribute.
- Cambuslang station wall welcome mural- National Lottery funding- work is in progress.
- LEAP garden- CRP has contributed some funding- should be completed in the Spring
- Rutherglen train station passenger tunnel- art vinyls to be put up soon- in December 2020.
- JW mentioned initiatives to improve accessibility/inclusion- free passes for guide dog owners and train conductors to have BSL on conductors’ ‘phones. Mandatory training on disability for all Scotrail staff to include dementia- friendly, autism-friendly and neurodiversity initiatives. SMcC is on the regional committee/group for Scotland. WC to share info on dementia with SMcC.
- Interpretation Board at Newton re wildlife and growing project with QR code?
- Succession planning-replacement chair still required as well as other trustees. Publicity- SMcC and DGW to do a piece at Camglen radio, plus on the artwork installed by the CRP- FB page etc
Next meeting: 8/2/22 @2pm @ LEAP café, Cambuslang