Date – 2018
Project Aim –
The aim of Bike Town at the Station is to support cycling to and from the railway station to encourage cycling as an achievable and worthwhile form of transport, reducing reliance on the car and therefore decreasing people’s carbon footprint, promoting health, wellbeing and environmental benefits, in particular cleaner air.
Funded by – Scotrail and Rail 74 Community Rail Partnership
Project detail –
Bike Town visited 3 Stations (Rutherglen, Cambuslang, Newton) on two separate occasions each in G72 & G73 twice and delivered the following activities:
- Dr Bike: free safety checks for people’s bicycles
- Route guidance: advice about safe routes people can cycle to and from the station to their home
- Bicycle and cycling advice: answer people’s questions about bicycle options and cycling concerns
- Bicycle donation pickup point: enabling bicycle recycling to provide affordable second-hand bikes for sale. Donated bikes will be recycled; bikes and working parts will be rescued and sold at our bicycle recycling centre
The project also promoted rail travel by demonstrating the interconnectedness of rail travel and cycling.
Project Outcomes –
- Reducing carbon footprint and encouraging recycling
- Promoting access to education and skills opportunities
- Developing integrated transport links to and from the railway